Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Vote Yes on 102



Found this on a friends blog. Very touchy proposition but very important. We could go into a whole debate on same sex marriage and there would be many views on the subject. For a person who believes in God and has an understanding of Gods purpose and plan for us I understand why such a choose is not best for each of us as individuals or for society as a whole. But how do you help someone understand that when they don't believe the way you do? We can argue until we are blue in the face but that would solve nothing. First people need to know that it is not about hate. Just because you don't believe a certain behavior is acceptable doesn't mean you hate the person or group of people involved. I don't feel that smoking or drinking is okay but if a person chooses to do so it doesn't make me hate them. But should I back down and say smoking and drinking is okay to make them feel better? No. We can except people as individuals but we in no way have to agree with certain behavior choices or allow them to be taught to our children as acceptable behavior. My mother was telling me about how in California they are talking about teaching kindergartners sex education and telling them that there are certain parts of our body that are made to bring us pleasure and that it is okay to be involved in certain behaviors that I personally feel are unacceptable, to induce that pleasure. Where do we draw the line? I am grateful to live in a small town where my children are not exposed to such teachings. I will teach my children about sex and homosexual behavior, but it will be in a way I fill best. I will teach them to treat all people with respect and try to help my children understand that respecting someone doesn't mean excepting inappropriate behavior.

2 comments:

Nora said...

Nicely put! Its getting very scary to raise children in our day.

*Amy * said...

That was really well put. I totally agree. We are starting to teach Randon about some basic things and I think it is so important for a parent to be in charge of those teachings. I want my kids to be nice to people but never condone things. You should never feel bad and feel like you have to accept a behavior if you do not agree with it. I hate how our world is turning and now more conservative valued people are being looked at as "bad" if we do not follow the world. You live in a great place to have your kids be supported for NOT going along with all the world's new ideas. R will start school here and he might have a harder time in a bigger place. I hope not. I hope I teach him well enough to stand up for what we believe in. Anyways, I liked you post. ( Your fair looked fun. Chris and I had a lot of fun at the fair there when we lived there).

The Gila Valley Temple