Sunday, March 21, 2010

What's in your VCR?

I ask what is in you VCR because you might be a little surprised to find out what I found in ours today. (Or maybe not if you have or have ever had a 22 month old.) So here is the story. We have one of those VCR and DVD combos and I went to put a VHS in the VCR and it went half way in before it got stuck and wouldn't go in the rest of the way or come out. Because
of the jam the machine shut off and wouldn't stay on if I tried turning it back on. After unplugging everything I leaned it forward a bit and out slid a DVD. My first thought was okay that must have been what caused the problem. I still couldn't get the VHS out and was starting to think we were just going to have to replace the system. Well, with a little pushing and pulling I finally got the tape out. Everything seemed to be working fine now so I put the tape back in only to have it get stuck halfway in again. My first thought was that there was damage and that was causing the problem. Luckily I was able to get the tape out and Jeremy suggested that maybe there was something else stuck in there. Well, sure enough there was. Our little pack rat had been busy and we found her secret storage area. Along with the DVD she had stuck a pen cap, a pecan with the outer shell and some other thing that I was unsure what it was. It was hard and greasy and I think it may have been bologna at one time. Oh the joy of a toddler.

2 comments:

Ironygirl said...

It's a sad day when your toddler discovers this joy.

Kevin and Kimberly said...

Our DVD/VCR's are up high on the shelf for this particular reason. When I was a teenager, I often found my nieces and nephews discover this area. We would find all kinds of exciting things inside the system--forks, pb&j sandwiches, small toys, little cars. When we had our children, I had already learned it was a good idea to put the movie system up high. When we go to my mom's house, Aaron likes to hide things in her VCR. Her system is down low. It is a good secret hiding spot. Our toddler age favorite hiding spot has always been the toilet. We have to make sure everyone always shuts the door to the bathroom so that little ones don't put things in the toilet--a challenge when there are 8 people in the house. My kids have always figured out the toilet locks. Kids are so clever!

The Gila Valley Temple