Friday, March 20, 2009

Aussie Chicken

You know those wonderful cookbooks that you get from church or school fundraisers that are full of tried and true recipes? Well, I love them. Many of our favorite family recipes come from those books. Not long ago I received one of those cookbooks from my husbands Aunt Mary (Thanks!) and we discovered a yummy chicken recipe. It is called Aussie Chicken. It is kind of like a honey mustard chicken with bacon and cheese. If we all use our imagination we can pretend that it is low fat, unless you don't care about that kind of thing. I should of taken a picture but we were all too busy eating to go get the camera. Okay here it is.

4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thick
2 tsp. seasoning salt
6 slices bacon, cut in halves
1/2 cup prepared mustard
1/2 honey
1/4 light corn syrup
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 Tbsp. dried onion flakes
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
2 cups shredded Colby-Monterrey Jack cheese
2 Tbsp. chopped fresh parsley

Rub chicken breasts with seasoned salt. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Place bacon in a large deep skillet. Cook over medium-high heat until crisp. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine mustard, honey, corn syrup, mayo, and onion flakes. Remove half of sauce; cover and refrigerate to serve later.

Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place the breasts in the skillet and saute for 3 to 5 minutes on each side or until browned. Remove from skillet and place the breast in a 9x13 inch baking dish. Apply the honey mustard sauce to each breast, then layer each with mushrooms and bacon. Sprinkle top with cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes or until cheese is melted and chicken juices run clear. Garnish with parsley and serve with reserved honey mustard sauce. Makes 4 servings.

I didn't use mushrooms because I didn't have any. I also didn't garnish it with parsley. It was delicious though. Hope someone out there enjoys it.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds yummy. I will have to try it sometime. Thanks for sharing.

J-mama said...

I will imagine how yummy it would be! I haven't had bacon in ages! :)

Nora said...

Loved the 3 new posts. I loved hearing about your 9 years. I need to do that on our anniversary but I don't know if I can remember it as well as you do. You always had a better memory than me. We really need to see more of each other. I miss you dearly!

Marisa and Rob said...

That sounds really yummy!!! I will have to try that! I love getting new recipes!!! :) I will have to pass some of our favorite recipes to you! I emailed awhole bunch to Amy and to carol. I will have to email them to you!! :) Have a great weekend! Hey I just posted a post about potty training and wanted to see if you have any advice on that! :)

*Amy * said...

I might try that. My mom gave us her old ward cookbook because she got a new copy. It was COVERED in cookie dough and grease because it was so well used and loved. All the recipes in those are so good though! Your girls keep getting prettier. My gosh! I love the picture at the top. Courtney sure is getting big. When was she born again? She will be turning 1 in not too long right? Sure goes fast but 1 year olds are fun. Alora is giving us a run for the money! If we get back to Thatcher this summer I would love to meet up. We were only in Thatcher for a few days this last visit so hopefully if we get more time next time, we can get together!

*Amy * said...

We'll call you the next time we are down. Possibly July. I'll have to show my mom the pics of the girls. She would like to see how big they are getting. She is coming down tomorrow so I will show them off to her, so cute. May will be here before you know it and you will have a 1 year old too!

amy and luke said...

YUM YUM!!! How come you didn't invite us over to try this yummy chicken J/K :) I will have to make it sounds good.

*Amy * said...

It's always fun to have my mom come visit. Well, we will probably be in Thatcher again in mid-May. If you are around we should try to meet up. I want to see your girls! I'll let you know for sure when we are coming when I know better but we should be there for like 3-4 days this time.

Jennie said...

That has to be one of my favorite recipes from that cookbook as well. I really LOVE these ward recipe cookbooks from everyone. The recipes are really tried and true and end up being some of our favorite family recipes as well.

I do know that the books are kind of a pain to put together and coordinate. During my 1st 2 months being in the R.S. Presidency I had to finish putting our ward's book together and getting it printed etc. It was a labor of love but well worth it in the end. You have one from my ward right? If not, let me know and I'll be sure to get one for you.

We are looking forward to seeing you at Easter and spending time with all of you!

The Gila Valley Temple