Thursday, August 28, 2008

Where have all the cooties gone?

Where have all the cooties gone? I ask this question because my first grader who is only six came home yesterday and informed me that Billy broke up with her. She then continue on by telling me he said they could still be friends though, as if that would make me feel better about the whole thing. What is happening? When I was in first grade all of the boys had cooties and you had to have your cootie spray ready at a moments notice just in case one touched you. Now it seems that kids are growing up too fast. They are wanting to pair off and be "boyfriend and girlfriend" in the FIRST grade. I was hoping I wouldn't need to have " the talk" with her until she was like 20 (Ha! Ha!) now am I going to have to discuss such things with her before she goes to second grade, or so it seems. Is this what tween culture has done? Made it so glamorous to have boyfriend or girlfriend? No more High School Musical for her. (Ha! Ha!) Oh how I wish she would just go back to being my little baby. I am not ready to deal with all of this puppy love stuff. Oh cooties, where could you be? If anyone has found the lost cooties please send them my way.

5 comments:

*Amy * said...

Yikes! I hear about this "breaking-up" thing a lot from friends and family who have kids this age. I have no idea why kids want to go through all that this early! Yeah, it will be ok. You guys are great parents and I am sure Thatcher is much more tame than a bigger place, say Phoenix? Yikes! Oh, those pictures of Kelsi are how I remember her. You guys left when Shaylee was a baby. We will have to let you know the next time we are in Thatcher, I would love to see them all in person. They are growing up SOOO fast! I hope Randon thinks girls have cooties when he starts school! He really likes to play with his male friends and play light sabers right now. Whew!

The Prices!! . said...

Kaitlynn was proposed to in Kindergarten. Miranda was kissing boys on the preschool bus. If you find out where the cooties are let me know!! I had to give Kaitlynn part of "The talk" in Kindergarten and the rest in first grade. By second she knew everything that I didn't learn until Jr High!! However Nicholas could care less about that kind of thing. He doesn't know about cooties, he just has better things to do.

Nora said...

I hear ya! Emma only plays with boys and has had several "boyfriends" and tells me they broke up also. She is finally telling Abbey that they aren't allowed to date till they are 16 but I think there is confusion between having a boyfriend and dating. I remember that same confusion when I was in school. Abbey still likes the boys, but comes home telling me they keep chasing her and gets so mad. They were both tied up with a jump rope by Jackson--whatever that means.

J-mama said...

Hey Cindy--I finally broke down and started a blog for myself:)
I remember the cooties! I think we grew up on a different planet sometimes. We are already having to teach Julian about smoking(thanks a LOT, Spiderman 3!) It is so hard to tach kids about mature subjects and keep it on their level.

J-mama said...

Thanks for the comments...I'm patiently waiting for a new post from you!;) I don't know how much "free time" you have(if any) I'm sure the girls keep you super busy!!

The Gila Valley Temple