Sunday, March 18, 2012

Old Faithful

   So, I had a very interesting and scary experience this week.  I got a bunch of chicken for a great deal and decided I would try to bottle some of it.  I have done it before but it has always been with someone else and it was at least a year ago when I did it last.  I attempted to pressure can the bottles in a pressure cooker that I recently purchased at Wal-mart.  Well this cooker was a little different than some I have used before so I was trying to figure it out as I went using the manual that came with it.  The instructions said for the 15lb weight to be gently rocking for about 75 min.  I discovered that their idea of “gentle rocking” is different than mine.  This is what happened all over my kitchen…220px-Old_Faithfull-pdPhoto

   There was a little black plug, the overpressure plug, that popped out and “Old Faithful” sprayed everywhere.  I had never seen so much water all over my kitchen before.  The ceiling was dripping and there was about a 1/2 inch worth of water on the floor.  I didn’t even realize there was enough water in the pot to make such a mess. 

   The mess took quite a while to clean up.  I was truly grateful for the help of my husband in this endeavor.  He helped to dry the ceiling and cabinets while I was on low cabinets and floor duty.  What a mess!

  Overall it was an experience I don’t want to do again.  Ever! I am extremely grateful that the Lord was watching out for us and no one was hurt. 

No comments:

The Gila Valley Temple